Whatsapp is one of the largest and most popular messaging service in the world. This is a cross platform service with clients available for Android, iOS, Windows Phone, Windows PC and Mac OS. To remain in the top of the game Facebook has added a number of new features to WhatsApp. One of the most anticipated feature was the Dark mode. With the introducing of Android 10 and Apple iOS 13 system-wide dark theme, most apps are already getting the support. We haven’t heard anything about dark mode for the desktop clients.
Even though we didn’t have an official dark theme for Whatsapp desktop client, XDA Member m4heshd has created a styling mod for WhatsApp for Desktop that themes the desktop client with a dark theme.
Here is how you can install the mod to make it easier on your eyes. Following are few things that you might want to consider before applying this mod.
- This mod is open-source. (You can always check the source code)
- You need to get the desktop version from WhatsApp directly. It is not compatible with Microsoft Store or App store version of WhatsApp desktop yet.
- This is not an official version.
How to activate dark mode on WhatsApp Desktop
- Make sure you have WhatsApp Desktop installed in your PC or mac first.
- Now download WhatsApp Desktop Dark Mode styling for Windows or macOS from GitHub. ( https://github.com/m4heshd/whatsapp-desktop-dark )
- Simply extract the downloaded ZIP file and run
WADarkin the root of extracted directory. Make sure WhatsApp Desktop is running before you start the installation. Then wait for the process to finish. That’s it.